Extensive open-source scientific package
SageMath is a giant project in the field of open source scientific packages. It is a collection of more than 80 different open source projects integrated into a single user interface with Python as the language that connects everything. SageMath was to be used for research and teaching of pure and applied mathematics, but that does not mean that it can not be used in other areas of science and engineering.
- The good
- Free and open-source.
- A comprehensive software that includes more than 80 scientific packages.
- A large and active community of users.
- It can be used from a Jupyter Notebook.
- The bad
- There is no option to select certain packages to install, all packages are bundled into a single installation file.
SageMath can be used directly from the terminal or by using Jupyter Notebook, which is included by default with the SageMath installation file. In our experience, the best way to interact with SageMath and create beautiful documents and code is to use Jupyter Notebook, which also makes it easy to share your work with others.
Another great aspect of this project is the active and diverse community behind it. You can easily see this from the list of publications citing SageMath, which indicates how well the scientific community has accepted SageMath.
SageMath is programmed using Python, which is another feature since Python is a very common and versatile programming language. This is particularly beneficial for students because it is a very practical language that is good to master. unlike other scientific software such as MATLAB that uses a language that is limited to scripts written for the software itself.
- Free and open-source.
- Cross-platform software that runs on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Uses Jupyter Notebook for better coding and documentation.
- Integrated with Python programming language.
- Includes more than 80 different scientific open-source projects.
- All the packages and tools are bundled in a single installation file.
- The software can be shared on the local network, which is ideal for a lab environment.
- A very active and diverse community of users.
Get the latest version of SageMath 8.9 with a direct and fast download link via Downzen by clicking the download button on this page.
- Last update2019-10-26
- RequiresWindows 7+