WinSCP is a free and open-source file manager for remote computers such as servers, it supports several file transfer protocols such as FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3, and SCP. In addition, WinSCP provides scripting and other file management services.
- The good
- Free and open-source.
- The user interface is beautiful and easy to use.
- Easily sync files between server and client.
- Supports several languages.
- Supports FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3 and SCP protocols.
- The bad
- There are not many interface customization options.
WinSCP creates a secure connection between the client and the server and thus allows the user to upload and download files from the server securely where all data sent or received is encrypted using one of the supported protocols such as FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3.
How to use WinSCP
After completing the installation, you will be prompted to enter the login information for the server you are trying to reach, which includes the hostname, the user name, the password, the port number, and the protocol to be used for the connection, as it can be seen from the picture below.
To test WinSCP, we will be connecting to the free open FTP server ftp://speedtest.tele2.net/ using the username anonymous and any password, as shown in the image below.
After entering the login information, you will click on the "Login" button, and then the program will create a secure connection between your device and the server, the files on the server will appear on the right side and the files on your device on the left, you can now download files from the server or upload files to the server from Your device with ease.
With the Commands option, you can perform various tasks such as comparing files on the two devices, synchronizing between them, searching and opening a command line.
To upload a file from the local device to the server, you can click with the right button on the file, then choose to upload the file. Also, files can be downloaded from the server in a similar way by pressing the right button and choosing Download.
To end the current connection, you can press Shift+Ctrl+D or go to Session => Disconnect.
- Graphical user interface.
- Translated into many languages.
- Integration with Windows (drag&drop, URL, shortcut icons, jump list).
- All common operations with files.
- Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH and FTP and WebDAV and S3 protocols.
- Batch file scripting and command-line interface and .NET assembly for advanced programming tasks.
- Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways.
- Integrated text editor.
- Shares site settings with PuTTY.
- Support for password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication.
- Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH.
- Explorer and Commander interfaces.
- Optionally protects stored site information with master password.
- Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media.
To get the latest version of WinSCP 5.15.9 with a direct and fast download button via Dwonzen, then click on the download button on this page.
- Last update2019-12-05
- RequiresWindows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10